The SBA holds annual awards for the Small of the Year that celebrates excellence in this vibrant and growing sector of the liquor industry.
All small bars licences are eligible for the awards.
2017 will be the sixth annual awards and will be judged as follows;,
- The voting system draws upon the knowledge of those who work in the industry and includes an element of peer ranking. All holders of eligible licences (one vote per licence/venue) will be asked to nominate their six top venues. These votes are tallied and a short list of finalists will be identified.
- The finalists are then assessed in two ways; by a judging panel and by the public, creating three awards,
- The Critics’ Choice Award
- The People’s Choice Award
- Best Regional Bar Award
- Licensees are also asked to nominate their favourite new bar (one that has opened in the previous twelve months). These are tallied into a short list of finalists.
- The public are then asked to vote on that shortlist and award,
- The Best New Small Bar Award
The Critics’ Choice Award is selected by a panel of three people who all have their own interests in and knowledge of Small Bars in WA.
In the past these judges have included,
- Sam Bygrave – Editor of Australian Bartender, Australia’s leading bar industry magazine.
- Fleur Bainger –Features and Food writer, STM Magazine. Contributing Journalist to Australian Traveller, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and many others.
- Tessa Gallagher – Editor, The Urban List, The leading go-to guide to everything worth tasting, trying booking and buying in Perth.
- Max Veenhuyzen – Food and Wine writer for Australian Gourmet Traveller, The Sunday Times and Qantas, The Australian Way Magazine.
The 2017 awards event will be held on Monday the 6th of November 2017 at the Dominion League, 84 Beaufort St, Perth from 7pm.
Public Voting is now open.
Check back here or on our Facebook page until the 3rd of November for your chance to cast your vote.